City Hall, 121 N LaSalle Dr, Chicago
Join us for a press conference to demand that city officials support changes that will increase police accountability by reforming the Fraternal Order Police contracts that will expire this month.
We are gathering to call for these changes because the City of Chicago’s current contracts with police unions help maintain the code of silence in the Chicago Police Department. These contracts hinder police accountability by:
- Making it hard to identify misconduct
- Making it easy for officers to lie about misconduct
- Requiring that officials ignore and destroy evidence of misconduct
- Making it difficult to investigate and be transparent about misconduct
- Allowing repeat offenders to avoid accountability
As these contracts expire on June 30th, the Coalition for Police Contracts Accountability (CPCA), composed of concerned community and policy stakeholders, will call on Mayor Emmanuel and members of the Chicago city council to endorse the 14 recommendations put forward by our coalition. We urge the Mayor and Aldermen to ensure that contract provisions enabling the code of silence are brought to an end by rejecting any contract that doesn’t include our reforms.