Community Renewal Society
Communications Officer and Congregational Organizer
(PDFs attached below)
Community Renewal Society:
Community Renewal Society (CRS) is a 132-year old, faith-based organization that works with people and communities to address racism and poverty. CRS transforms society towards greater justice and compassion.
Community Renewal works to achieve its vision of a just community where racism and poverty no longer limit people’s full participation in society by working with a powerful faith-based organizing and policy advocacy network for the common good and by publishing two highly regarded investigative journals on matters of social justice. Through these pioneering efforts, Community Renewal Society moves civic and religious leaders to take action on issues of racism and poverty.
The Communications Officer is a full time position who works with the senior staff to develop, execute, and evaluate the strategies and tactics used to increase awareness of the organization’s programs through various communication efforts. The Communications Officer will report to the Director of Development & Communications.
- Create and execute a comprehensive plan that integrates CRS’ communications with the organization’s policy/advocacy, organizing, and publications programs
- Develop and promote a compelling brand for the organization that communicates CRS’ history, heritage, theology, mission, and practice
- Centralize, organize, and monitor press coverage and work to expand coverage of events, impact, and victories
- Prepare and distribute press releases, letters-to-the-editor, and other public statements related to critical policy issues, legislative victories, organizational events, and news articles
- Create and distribute written materials for CRS and individual programs, including fundraising appeals, annual reports, brochures, invitations, blogs, and public service announcements
- Manage and distribute a calendar of all communication efforts
- Accompany policy and organizing staffs and community leaders on faith-in-action days at the Capitol or other actions and events to take pictures, record and communicate the issues, actions, and results of the group’s advocacy and organizing efforts
- Assist the organizing and policy & advocacy programs in designing and organizing a communication plan for the various organizing and advocacy campaigns
- Generate or work with freelancers to create visual and graphic designs, informational graphics, and videos to tell effective organizational stories on web sites and in various on-line communication vehicles
- Commitment to the goals and mission of the Community Renewal Society
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and visual)
- Resonance with the faith-based orientation of CRS
- Capacity to communicate effectively with clergy, congregational members, and the general public on matters of justice and faith
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe); ability to quickly adapt to different online databases, web formats, and search engines
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Capacity to balance multiple projects
- Ability to interact comfortably with people from all different socioeconomic classes and education levels
- Willingness to respond to flexible office hours and work at various events outside of office
- Knowledge of Chicago very important
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) very desirable
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferable
- At least three to five years of experience in a work environment requiring communications and marketing skills
Salary commensurate with experience
Excellent benefits package
Email resume and cover letter to: kmongoven [at] communityrenewalsociety [dot] org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Application Deadline: April 4, 2014
CRS is an equal opportunity employer
Community Renewal Society (CRS) is a faith-based organization that works with people and communities to address racism and poverty. CRS transforms society towards greater justice and compassion through our growing network of diverse congregations that fight for racial and economic justice through powerful, direct action campaigns. Our campaign issues include criminal justice reform, violence, education and education funding, affordable housing, and unemployment.
This is a full-time position that organizes current and new primarily African-American Community Renewal Society member congregations on the South side of Chicago and South suburban communities to create social change on issues of race and poverty. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with passion for and experience with faith-based social justice and working with low-income people to create change.
- Recruit and organize new and existing member congregations on the South side of Chicago and South suburbs.
- Identify, train, and develop leaders in new and existing member congregations.
- Build core Faith in Action teams in each member congregation.
- Provide staff support for at least one campaign Issue Team.
- Work with leaders in member congregations to identify social justice issues affecting their communities.
- Work with leaders in member congregations to develop campaign strategies and execute actions for justice campaigns.
- Work to ensure high leader turnout for campaign actions and organization-wide events.
- Serve as a trainer for Community Renewal Society’s 3-Day Organizing Training and Confronting Pharaoh Congregational Training.
- Recruit leaders and other community residents to participate in trainings.
- Maintain organizational records.
- Manage online communication and advocacy tools.
- Attend and staff various CRS events.
- A passion for social justice and working with faith-based institutions
- Motivation and drive
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- 2 years of organizing experience
- Experience working with clergy, congregations and low income people
- Valid IL driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle (frequent local/in-state travel required)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a strong plus
Salary commensurate with experience Alex Wiesendanger
Excellent benefits package Community Renewal Society
Send or fax resume and cover letter to: 111 W Jackson Blvd, Ste 820
The position will remain open until filled Chicago, IL 60604
awiesendanger [at] communityrenewalsociety [dot] org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
CRS is an equal opportunity employer