Community Organizations from Across Chicago Gather for a Conference on Community Benefits Agreements (CBAs) to Fight Gentrification and Ensure Jobs for Local Residents
This conference brings together leaders of Chicago area coalitions to share experiences and learn from local and national experts representing CBA experiences in 8 different states. Leaders from more than 15 organizations and 4 different Chicago Area CBA campaigns are expected to attend.
Community Benefits Agreements (CBAs) are contractual agreements between community organizations and real estate developers, fighting gentrification and requiring them to provide jobs, housing and other benefits to the community. Four CBA campaigns are underway in Chicago.
When: Saturday, April 2, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Agenda is attached)
Where: SEIU Healthcare, 2229 S. Halsted, Chicago – 1st Floor
Who: Leaders and organizations engaged in a campaign or coalition to get a Community Benefits Agreement (CBA), local and national experts on CBAs, and elected officials who work with organizations on CBAs.
Registration (No fee to attend)
Conference sessions include:
- 9 a.m. - Campaign updates from Chicago coalitions working on CBAs
- 9:45 a.m. - Best practices around the country: What made these CBAs successful?
- 11:15 a.m. - Monitoring and enforcement of CBAs; Partnering with construction trades
- 1 p.m. - Lunch panel: Working with public officials
- 2:15 p.m. - Winning quality, permanent jobs; Engaging new partners; Research tools for Local Coalitions
For more information:
Rachel Ramirez, Chicago Coalition for the Homeless
(773) 428-2725 (cell), Rachel@chicagohomeless.org
Lindsey Hammond, Community Renewal Society
(312) 673-3841, firstname.lastname@example.org
Download this Press Advisory