Community Renewal Society (CRS) hosted its 133rd Annual Membership Assembly on Saturday, October 3, 2015. During this time, CRS’ member congregations voted on the 2015-2016 Platform for Renewal, elected board members, and recognized individuals and a congregation that have made exceptional contributions to our work over the last year.
The 2015-2016 Platform for Renewal
The key issues that comprise our annual Platform for Renewal are drawn directly from listening to leaders of member congregations and community residents. Congregational leaders and staff speak with people in churches and communities through one-on-one conversations, house meetings, and neighborhood canvasses. The Policy and Organizing Committee of the Board, a group of board members and leaders elected by the membership, meet to distill the learning from this listening process and empower issue teams to work on building local, city or state-wide campaigns to win real change. This process culminates at the fall Annual Membership Assembly when CRS member congregations vote on the key issues and campaigns to be included in the Platform for Renewal for the upcoming year.
On October 3, 2015, CRS member congregations adopted the 2015-2016 Platform for Renewal.
- Reclaim Campaign – Stop Violence with Restorative Justice
- Westside Community Benefits Coalition – Fighting for Good Jobs and Housing
- FORCE Absolute Bars Legislation – End Lifetime Barriers to Employment for People with Records
- Fair Tax for Illinois – Increase Revenue to Fund Education and Protect the Most Vulnerable
- Ending Police Brutality – Create a Police Auditor Office and Remove Barriers to Filing Complaints Against Police
At our Annual Membership Assembly, CRS recognizes several individuals and one congregation who have made outstanding contributions to our policy and organizing work over the last year. Those honored this year were:
John Purdy Sr. Memorial Leadership Awards
- Rev. Eddie L. Knox, Jr., DMin, Pullman Presbyterian Church
- Teleza Rodgers, Way of Life International Church, F.O.R.C.E.
- Beth Johnson, Cabrini Green Legal Aid
- Sam Tuttle, Heartland Alliance
Legislative Lighthouse Award
- Kelly Cassidy, Illinois State Representative, 14th District
City on the Hill Award
- Southminster Presbyterian Church (Arlington Heights)
Elected Board Members
During the assembly, CRS member congregations also vote on a slate of candidates nominated to CRS’ Board of Directors. All persons nominated to the CRS Board of Directors were elected.
The following individuals were elected to a three-year term on the Board of Directors as members of the Class of 2018:
- Rev. Danielle Buhuro, Lincoln Memorial Congregational UCC
- Rev. Robbie Craig, New Faith Baptist Church International, Matteson
- Rev. Ronald Howell, Metropolitan Community Church
- Rev. Liz Muñoz, Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de las Americas
- Teleza Rodgers, Way of Life Church International
- Rev. Bobbie Taylor, Glencoe Union Church, Glencoe
The following individuals were Board members of the Class of 2015 that were re-elected for a three-year term as members of the Class of 2018:
- Jaquie Algee, Trinity UCC
- Rev. Bonnie Condon
- Rev. George Daniels, First Baptist Congregational Church
- Rev. CJ Hawking, Euclid Ave United Methodist Church, Oak Park
- Alton Miller