Our Organizing Department networks congregations to overcome the barriers of poverty and racism. For decades, activists in member congregations have come together across racial, ethnic, geographic and socioeconomic lines to shape public policies that foster hope and create opportunity for all Illinois residents. The Organizing Staff works to provide organizing and advocacy training, mentoring and guidance, information and materials. A leadership council representing members makes decisions about the legislation and campaigns to be implemented over the course of the year.
The organizing program of the Community Renewal Society is made up of congregations throughout the Chicago metropolitan area dedicated to put their faith into action to win change for racial and economic justice.
Jay Wilcoxen spent twenty years teaching Bible at the University of Chicago, his mission is to advocate for the plain and direct sense of the Lectionary readings.
Key Issues We Work On
Commitment to Anti-Racism
With the implementation of CRS’ new strategic plan, prioritization of anti-racism frameworks and tools is now essential.
Community Development (Housing and Jobs)
Housing and job opportunities consistently arose as major concerns for members our community. These issues are also of concern for vulnerable populations (youth, formerly incarcerated, communities of color, and immigrant communities). To catalyze this work, we will form an issue team with two delegations: Housing Caucus and Jobs Caucus.
Just Economy for Safe Communities
Work in coalition to address state budget concerns impacting jobs, housing, violence reduction, justice reform and the gubernatorial race.
- CRS joined the call to #EndMoneyBail with over 70 signatories led by the Illinois No Money Bond Coalition urging th… https://t.co/PHVQ9EoHlA — 4 days 6 hours ago
- @Rev_Jason, @CRSchicago board member: “When CRS comes together, we have a holy megaphone.” Give to justice on… https://t.co/gAU52oiNY3 — 5 days 8 hours ago
- Thank you to all who came together to celebrate Music for the Movement last Saturday. It was a soul-stirring gospel… https://t.co/ouw8Q05tBZ — 6 days 1 hour ago
- @firstbaptistchurchsutherlandsprings we pray for your community and we take action in IL #VoteYesSB1657… https://t.co/jzRjMGKvwg — 1 week 4 days ago
- Today is the day! IL House expected to consider SB 1657, Gun Dealer Licensing Act, ask your Rep to #VoteYesSB1657… https://t.co/FZtPMtoyM1 — 1 week 4 days ago