Our Organizing Department networks congregations to overcome the barriers of poverty and racism. For decades, activists in member congregations have come together across racial, ethnic, geographic and socioeconomic lines to shape public policies that foster hope and create opportunity for all Illinois residents. The Organizing Staff works to provide organizing and advocacy training, mentoring and guidance, information and materials. A leadership council representing members makes decisions about the legislation and campaigns to be implemented over the course of the year.
The organizing and training arm of the Community Renewal Society is made up of congregations throughout the Chicago metropolitan area dedicated to put their faith into action to win change for racial and economic justice.
Led by people with records, FORCE (Fighting to Overcome Records and Create Equality) is an initiative of CRS which is organizing to create change and justice for men and women with criminal backgrounds.
Jay Wilcoxen spent twenty years teaching Bible at the University of Chicago, his mission is to advocate for the plain and direct sense of the Lectionary readings.
Key Issues We Work On
Community Renewal Society will continue our efforts to correct law enforcement systems that discriminate, criminalize, and torture black communities. This year, we will renew our police accountability campaign by addressing police reform in Chicago and Illinois.
FORCE (Fighting to Overcome Records and Create Equality) - an initiative of Community Renewal Society, along with the Restoring Rights and Opportunities Coalition of Illinois (RROCI), is working to pass legislation that would create more transparency and fairness in the background check process for employment and housing, two of the most pressing and fundamental human rights.
Our communities continue to be devastated by unacceptable levels of violence. Community Renewal Society reaffirms its commitment to address this issue, in part by building upon the work done by the Reclaim Campaign.
- We honor FORCE, an initiative who organizes action plans to provide equal opportunities in housing, education, & jo… https://t.co/19FYccVhOS — 20 hours 22 min ago
- RT @SouthSideWeekly: Today at Metropolitan Community Church @CRSchicago hosts Advocacy Training and a briefing on state legislation. 6:30 https://t.co/TlyvZg3BUN — 5 days 27 min ago
- Join us in taking action in Chicago Police Accountability! https://t.co/L6YVorYOkT #PoliceAccountability #PoliceMisconduct #CPD — 5 days 18 hours ago
- 3 WEEKS till Day of Faith at the Capitol! Save your spot on the bus now > https://t.co/HPjleZVwC1 #CRSAction17 https://t.co/RFakXyM3l1 — 5 days 23 hours ago
- Wednesday the @thelawproject will host a free Building Community Equity Workshop Series on how TIFS work. RSVP>… https://t.co/EiG9Slm6I4 — 1 week 18 hours ago