Community Renewal Society (CRS) is a progressive, faith-based organization that works to eliminate race and class barriers. Founded in 1882, CRS informs, organizes and trains both communities and individuals to advocate for social and economic justice.
We believe every resident in our region has the right to:
- Affordable housing
- A high-quality education
- Jobs that pay a living wage
- A fair criminal justice system
- Safe, vibrant neighborhoods
- Redeem themselves in the public eye once they've paid their debt to society.
To achieve our goal of a region that is free of race and class barriers, we:
- Work purposefully on multiple issues, principally housing, jobs, education and criminal justice, because they are often intertwined
- Work with a cross section of communities and leaders, engaging them in these critical issues
- Examine and suggest improvements in current public practices
- Expose the direct relationship between reducing social inequities and the long-term economic health of our region
- Hold government accountable for its role in breaking down race and class barriers and making the region work for all of its residents.